Since the dawn of time, men have evaded following manuals and rules as we're naturally born doers. Between hectic mornings, busy workdays, and packed family schedules, looking your best is usually just one more thing on your to-do list. But let's face it - being a man doesn’t always mean you’ll know the fastest or best way to get a job done.
Here are 5 small, yet powerful hacks to make the most of your time.
Hack #1 - Undo Shrinkage
Ever removed your clothes from the washing machine and wondered when you've gotten yourself a new crop top? Here's a quick tip you can try out before giving away your t-shirt.
- Fill up a bucket/bowl of lukewarm water. Ensure it’s not too hot.
- Add 1 tablespoon of soft hair conditioner.
- Soak the piece of clothing for 30 minutes and gently stretch the piece of clothing back to its original shape. Hand wash to rinse out the conditioner and lay flat to dry.
This hack works incredibly well for t-shirts and lighter fabrics, but not for heavier fabrics. The conditioner relaxes the fibres of the clothing and makes it soft so it’s easy to stretch back into shape.
Hack #2 - Prevent Denim Dye Bleeding
We love dark denim jeans because they are versatile, comfortable and an essential for every wardrobe. It's great for dress down Fridays in the office as well as date nights. Though they may be low-maintenance, the rich indigo dye usually bleeds in the wash. The water and soap erode the dye and discolours them. Jeans will fade regardless, but washing them carefully can help slow the process.
- Wash your jeans infrequently. Some people claim to wash their jeans every 4 to 6 weeks to prevent them from fading prematurely, however, in sunny Singapore it may not be practical considering we live in such a humid climate. You can wash your jeans every 5 days instead.
Turn your jeans inside out when you put them to wash. Turning the jeans inside out will prevent detergent from wearing as harshly on the dye. It helps to preserve its colour in the long term.
- Using colour preserving detergent may also be another option to prevent the dye from fading.
Hack #3 - Waterproofing your shoes
There’s nothing worse than donning your new kicks only to have them ruined by a predatory puddle. No matter how much you try to keep your shoes away from contact with water or rain, the sad truth is that it's just inevitable, especially with a wet-weather climate like Singapore. BUT, the good thing is, you're able to safeguard your beloved shoes with dependable waterproofing spray! Waterproofing sprays can be found in most shoe stores, as well as departmental stores.
- Ensure that the other parts of the shoes that may retain moisture are covered
- You should be in a well-ventilated area and you can either hang your shoes up or place it on a piece of newspaper
- Spray a light and even coating on the upper portion of the shoes by holding the bottle about 15 to 20 centimetres away from the shoes
- Allow the shoes to dry for 15 minutes
- Test asmall area on the shoe by dripping some water on it. If the water droplets roll off the shoes, it means they are done! If it gets absorbed, you should spray the shoes and test it once again.
- Do note that regular maintenance is needed and we advise spraying your shoes after 10 - 15 wears.
Hack #4 - The Case Of The Lazy Zipper
We found an effortlessly genius idea to solve your peeping pants problem. All you need is a keyring.
- Attach the key ring to your zipper
- Zip up your pants and loop the keyring over the button
- Fasten the button and ensure the keyring is concealed
Hack #5 - The Power Of Dryer Sheets
Everyone knows the sole purpose of dryer sheets is to keep your garments smelling fresh. Surprisingly, dryer sheets can be used for a slew of other purposes.
- Keep clothes fresh - Place a dryer sheet anywhere they could use a boost—whether it's in your luggage, your closet, or your gym bag.
- Remove deodorant stains - ball up some dryer sheets and rub it on the affected area with short, quick strokes. The stain should be removed in no time.
- Deodorize vacuum cleaner bag - Place a dryer sheet inside the vacuum bag. It will deodorize any musk and make each room smell amazing.
- Deodorize on the go - Place dryer sheets in your suitcase in between your clothes to keep them smelling fresh. You can also place it in your shoes or between your dirty clothes when you are travelling. It helps to neutralize any unwanted odours and a single sheet goes a long way.
Do you have other lifestyle hacks you'd like to share? Share it will us in the comment section below! :)